If you’ve been to the drugstore haircare department recently and looked at the huge variety of OGX shampoos available, you might not be able to figure out which shampoo to try. Sometimes with too many options, it’s hard to decide at all!
OGX hair products smell great, are affordable and effective. In fact, I haven’t tried an OGX shampoo that I haven’t liked. So today, I’m going to narrow it down to the best OGX shampoos in 2021. This list of the best shampoos will work for a variety of hair types and hair concerns.
OGX was founded by Todd Christopher in 2006 under the name Organix. In 2013, the brand name was changed to OGX after litigation claimed that the name Organix was misleading consumers into believing that the hair care products were organic. (The products were, in fact, not organic.)
Today OGX offers salon-inspired formulas that range from shampoo and conditioner to dry shampoo and styling cream. They incorporate exotic ingredients into their products and stand out on drugstore shelves with their unique short rounded bottles. Their mission is never to sacrifice performance in their quest for sustainability.
You won’t find fragrance-free OGX shampoos since fragrance is a big selling point of OGX products. Most OGX shampoos (and conditioners) are free from sulfated surfactants, and all current OGX products do not contain parabens. OGX shampoos are formulated at a pH between 4.0-6.5.
This post contains affiliate links, and any purchases made through these links will result in a commission for me at no extra cost to you. Please read my Disclosure for additional information.
The 10 Best OGX Shampoos of 2021
The 10 best OGX shampoos will have you covered whether your hair is dry, oily, frizzy, thin, curly, or color-treated. Keep in mind that you can mix and match shampoos to suit your needs.
Note: you can pair each OGX shampoo in this list with its matching OGX conditioner for the best results.
Best For: Frizzy Hair
OGX Frizz-Free + Keratin Smoothing Oil Shampoo is all about the frizz. This shampoo is formulated to combat frizz with hydrolyzed keratin and argan oil. This shampoo offers multiple benefits for your hair:
- Fights Frizz
- Strengthens Hair
- Improves Flexibility
- Improves Shine
- Protects Against Humidity
This keratin shampoo’s fragrance is a mix of sweet and musk: tropical orange, island pineapple, and golden amber. This shampoo leaves your hair shiny and manageable and smells great too.
- Hydrolyzed Keratin: Strengthens and smoothes hair. It also improves shine while helping to reduce frizz.
- Argan Oil: Also known as argania spinosa kernel oil, argan oil moisturizes strands and your scalp while helping to prevent breakage and damage.
- Ceramide NP: Hydrates and supports scalp’s natural moisture barrier.
Best For: Fine Hair/Thin Hair/Hair Growth
OGX Extra Strength Biotin & Collagen Shampoo is a strengthening solution formulated with vitamins and proteins to pump up the volume on fine and thin hair. It’s ideal for flat hair that is thinning and in need of volume. This lightweight but nourishing shampoo contains biotin, bamboo fiber extract, and hydrolyzed wheat protein for fuller, thicker hair.
- Biotin: Biotin, also known as vitamin B6, supports hair health, as well as skin and nail health. Although a topical biotin product will not provide the same benefits as oral biotin formulations, topical biotin can strengthen the surface of your hair, especially when paired with collagen, which is also in this formula.
- Bamboo Fiber Extract: Bamboo is high in silica content. This study demonstrated that an oral supplement with silica and other ingredients as part of a marine complex stimulated hair growth. (The study was done on the popular supplement Viviscal.)
- Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein: This water-soluble protein helps to restore hair elasticity and improve moisture in fine, dry, and damaged locks for fuller healthier hair.
Best For: Oily Hair/Oily Scalp and Dandruff
OGX Teatree Mint Extra Strength Shampoo is a deep cleansing shampoo that will leave your hair and scalp feeling minty fresh. This lightweight shampoo is formulated with tea tree oil, peppermint, and witch hazel to remove buildup and leave your scalp with a tingling fresh feeling.
This tea tree mint shampoo helps break down sebum buildup from an oily scalp, removes residue from styling products, and leaves your hair feeling refreshed without stripping oils or natural nutrients.
- Tea Tree Leaf Oil: This essential oil has antibacterial and antiseptic properties. It also provides anti-fungal benefits that help to balance the scalp’s natural pH level, reducing itchiness often associated with dandruff.
- Witch Hazel: Soothes irritation, is an astringent, calms inflammation, and controls sebum (oil) production on your scalp.
Best For: Dry Hair and Dry Scalp
OGX Coconut Milk Shampoo is formulated with coconut milk and egg white proteins and extracts from other natural sources, including coconut oil. The shampoo is gentle enough for dry hair while it leaves a dry, itchy scalp feeling moisturized and replenished.
This product will leave your hair looking shiny and healthy after cleansing without stripping away the oils needed to keep hair healthy and strong while improving elasticity and hydration. It has an addictive tropical coconut scent reminiscent of those tropical tanning oils from years past.
- Coconut Milk: Nourishes and adds moisture to dry hair.
- Coconut Oil: Rich in unsaturated fatty acids and easily absorbed into the hair shaft to protect hair from damage.
- Egg White Proteins: Egg whites are high in protein as they contain all nine essential amino acids. They support a strong cortex, the middle layer of your hair, and a stronger sleeker cuticle to give your hair a brilliant shine.
Best For: Thick Hair/Coarse Hair
OGX Coconut Miracle Oil Shampoo is an island escape in a bottle as it cleanses to remove dirt, oil, and buildup while also providing much-needed hydration for the scalp and hair. Coconut oil helps keep your hair feeling soft but not greasy or heavy as it cleanses away impurities that can make you feel weighed down throughout the day.
If you have coarse hair that can’t be tamed, this is the perfect formula for you. The decadent scent of vanilla and coconut will leave your hair smelling great and feeling moisturized all day long.
- Coconut Oil: Coconut oil is rich in unsaturated fatty acids, especially lauric acid, whose structure allows it to be absorbed easily into the hair shaft to protect hair from damage.
- Essence of Tiare: Protects against dryness and damage.
- Vanilla Bean Extract: Rich in antioxidants to protect and soften hair and support hair growth.
Best For: Normal Hair
OGX Argan Oil of Morocco Extra Strength Shampoo is infused with argan oil, a nutrient-rich natural emollient that will soften your hair. Argan oil is known as the liquid gold of Morocco and helps to hydrate normal and all other hair types while leaving your hair feeling soft and shiny.
This shampoo has a light scent of coconut that adds shine and helps to keep the frizz at bay while ensuring that your scalp stays hydrated throughout the day.
- Argan Oil: Rich in unsaturated fatty acids and antioxidant vitamin E, which provides natural UV protection from harmful rays, protecting hair from environmental aggressors.
- Silk Proteins: Strengthen hair due to high cysteine content. Cysteine is an amino acid involved in keratin production. Keratin is a protein that gives your hair structure and strength.
Best For: Damaged Hair
OGX Bonding Plex Shampoo is formulated with a blend of cystine and vegetable proteins to cleanse strands compromised by heat and color damage. It helps to strengthen and restore hair health.
- Cystine: Cystine is a cross-linking polymer that forms a protective film to protect hair and helps to prevent damage to the hair cuticle, minimizing breakage.
- Vegetable Proteins: Smooth the hair cuticle and strengthen damaged hair by building strength from within, as they can penetrate the cortex, the thickest layer of the hair. The cortex contains melanin which gives our hair color.
Best For: Split Ends & Hair Loss/Hair Fall
OGX Anti-Breakage Keratin Oil Shampoo protects against hair breakage with keratin protein and argan oil. If you experience split ends, hair loss, or hair fall from hair styling or brushing, this shampoo will strengthen hair to help it grow longer and stronger.
- Keratin Protein: Keratin is a protein that occurs naturally in hair that protects it from external stress, minimizing frizz and keeping your hair healthy and shiny. Note that this ingredient is not related to salon keratin hair treatments that may be damaging to your hair depending on the ingredients used.
- Argan Oil: Argan oil, which is effective for both skin and hair, is rich in antioxidants and unsaturated fatty acids. It penetrates the hair cuticle to strengthen and restore hair strands.
Best For: Curly Hair
OGX Quenching + Coconut Curls Shampoo nourishes and softens hair with coconut oil while honey moisturizes spirals and adds shine for healthy and bouncy curly hair.
- Coconut Oil: Coconut oil has been shown to help prevent protein loss in hair when used as a pre-shampoo and post-shampoo product on both damaged and undamaged hair.
- Sweet Honey: A humectant that moisturizes and smoothes the hair follicle for shiny healthier hair.
- Citrus Oil: Controls frizz for gorgeous curls and waves.
Best For: Colored Hair
OGX Fade-Defying + Orchid Oil Shampoo protects color-treated hair with a UVA/UVB sun filter blend of orchid extract and grapeseed oil. It’s ideal for coarse, dry, curly, thin, or thick hair that is color-treated.
The gentle formula hydrates and moisturizes strands while slowing premature color fading. This ensures that multi-faceted tones and salon colors are locked in to stay vibrant.
- Orchid Extract: Provides moisture to the hair follicle and adds shine while amplifying color.
- Grapeseed Oil: Rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and phytonutrients to protect against UVA/UVB damage, grapeseed oil also adds shine, moisture, and strength to colored-treated hair.
Related Post: Paul Mitchell Clean Beauty Anti-Frizz Haircare Review
Final Thoughts on the Best OGX Shampoos
Whether you choose to use OGX shampoos paired with their matching conditioners or simply use the shampoos in this list of best OGX shampoos with another conditioner brand, if you choose a shampoo that is formulated for your hair type and hair concerns, you’re more likely to get the results you are looking for.
The nice thing about OGX shampoos is that they are priced so low that you can try multiple shampoos, which increases your chances of finding the shampoo that works best for your hair.
Thanks for reading!