The Ordinary offers many products that target aging skin, so today, we’ll take a look at the best The Ordinary products for wrinkles and mature skin.
The Ordinary products are cost-effective and just plain effective. So how does The Ordinary measure up compared to traditionally expensive anti-aging products? I think The Ordinary knocks it out of the park. Just don’t expect many multi-active products, as multiple actives and more complex formulas are what drives up product prices.
The Ordinary offers many hero-ingredient products that focus on a single active to target the signs of aging, so combining multiple The Ordinary products will usually be most effective.
But keep in mind that even when using multiple products from The Ordinary to target the signs of aging, you will probably be paying less than the price of one single luxury anti-aging product.
This post contains affiliate links, and any purchases made through these links will result in a commission for me at no extra cost to you. Please read my Disclosure for additional information.
The Best The Ordinary Products for Wrinkles and Mature Skin
When combining skincare products, it is important to educate yourself on any conflicts between product ingredients. The Ordinary also has a helpful guide on its website, which lists product interactions under its Formulations by Category section.
When trying new products, it is also important to patch test before applying a product for the first time to your face. Please see The Ordinary’s patch test page for more details.
The Ordinary Antioxidants for Wrinkles
It’s a great idea to incorporate an antioxidant into your daytime skincare routine, as antioxidants protect your skin from damaging free radicals that occur due to UV exposure and other environmental stressors. Antioxidants also target the signs of aging, like those pesky wrinkles and fine lines.
My go-to antioxidants are usually vitamin C products. Vitamin C also targets dull skin with its brightening benefits.
Vitamin C inhibits tyrosinase, an enzyme involved in melanin production. Melanin is the pigment that gives our skin its color. The Ordinary has several vitamin C serums and suspensions from which to choose:
The Ordinary Vitamin C for Wrinkles
The Ordinary offers 3 pure vitamin C (also called ascorbic acid or l-ascorbic acid) products:
- Ascorbic Acid 8% + Alpha Arbutin 2%
- Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2% (see my review here)
- Vitamin C Suspension 30% in Silicone
- 100% L-Ascorbic Acid Powder
If you want a pure vitamin C product, I prefer lower concentrations of ascorbic acid to minimize irritation, such as Ascorbic Acid 8% + Alpha Arbutin 2% (my current favorite The Ordinary vitamin C serum), which contains alpha arbutin for an extra brightening boost, ideal for those with age spots, sun spots, hyperpigmentation or uneven skin tone.
The Ordinary offers 4 vitamin C derivatives:
- Ascorbyl Glucoside Solution 12% (see my review here)
- Ethylated Ascorbic Acid 15% Solution
- Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate Solution 20% in Vitamin F
- Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate 10% (this product is currently being reformulated)
For those with sensitive skin who might not tolerate pure vitamin C, Ascorbyl Glucoside Solution 12% is an excellent vitamin C derivative. It is a stable water-based serum formulated to brighten the skin and reduce the signs of aging.
It can get confusing as to which The Ordinary vitamin C products might work best for your skin concerns, so for an in-depth look at the benefits of The Ordinary vitamin C, please see my guide to The Ordinary vitamin C products.
Additional The Ordinary Antioxidants for Wrinkles
Other beneficial antioxidants for the skin from The Ordinary include:
- The Ordinary Resveratrol 3% + Ferulic Acid 3%: A water-free highly concentrated antioxidant formula that helps boost the potency of pure vitamin C products. For an antioxidant powerhouse, mix with 100% L-Ascorbic Acid Powder for a customized vitamin C and antioxidant serum.
- The Ordinary Azelaic Acid Suspension 10%: Azelaic acid is produced naturally by yeast in normal skin. The Ordinary Azelaic Acid Suspension 10% acts as an antioxidant and works to brighten the skin and even out skin texture. It also helps to reduce the look of blemishes which is helpful for those with acne and oily skin. The high concentration of 10% azelaic acid comes in a gel-cream formula.
- The Ordinary Pycnogenol 5%: Derived from the bark of French maritime pine trees, Pycnogenol 5% helps improve skin hydration and elasticity. It also scavenges for free radicals before they cause oxidative stress and damage the skin. Perfect for mixing in with other treatments to boost antioxidant benefits. See my Pycnogenol review here.
- The Ordinary EUK 134 0.1%: A potent antioxidant that scavenges cell-damaging free radicals. It also regenerates itself to offer round-the-clock antioxidant support. The drawback of this antioxidant is that it can’t be used immediately with strong acids such as suspensions of ascorbic acid (pure vitamin C) as strong acids will deactivate it.
- Caffeine Solution 5% + EGCG: This eye serum contains caffeine and Epigallocatechin Gallatyl Glucoside (EGCG), antioxidants that help to improve the look of puffiness and of dark circles in the eye contour. For an even more advanced eye serum, check out sister-brand NIOD’s eye concentrate.
- The Ordinary 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Rose Hip Seed Oil: While The Ordinary offers several oils that have antioxidant benefits, 100% Organic Cold Pressed Rose Hip Seed Oil is loaded with skin-nourishing fatty acids. Rosehip oil also contains antioxidants like beta carotene that help reduce the signs of photoaging. This study determined that rosehip powder helps improve age-related skin conditions like crow’s feet, wrinkles, and elasticity.
- The Ordinary Mineral UV Filters SPF 30 with Antioxidants: This sunscreen contains broad-spectrum UVA/UVB protection of SPF 30 plus added antioxidants, hydration, and anti-irritation support. Sunscreen may be the most important product that you can use to prevent skin aging. Use this daily!
The Ordinary Peptides for Wrinkles and Mature Skin
The Ordinary “Buffet”/ The Ordinary “Buffet” + Copper Peptides 1%
One of my absolute favorite products from The Ordinary, The Ordinary “Buffet” is a multi-tasking serum and one of The Ordinary’s more complex products that targets multiple signs of aging at once.
The technologies used in the serum are:
- Matrixyl 3000 peptide complex (with palmitoyl tetrapeptide-7)
- Matrixyl synthe’6 peptide complex (with palmitoyl tripeptide-38)
- SYN-AKE peptide complex (with dipeptide diaminobutyroyl benzylamide diacetate)
- ARGIRELOX peptide complex (with acetyl hexapeptide-8, pentapeptide-18)
- Probiotic complex (with lactococcus lactis lysate)
- 11 skin-friendly amino acids
- Multiple hyaluronic acid complexes
The total concentration of these active technologies in the serum by weight is a high concentration of 25.1%. The Ordinary combines hydrating and anti-aging actives into one serum that can easily be the staple serum of any anti-aging skincare routine.
For a supercharged version of “Buffet,” The Ordinary “Buffet” + Copper Peptides 1% contains all of the anti-aging actives in the original “Buffet” serum plus GHK-Cu (Copper Tripeptide-1).
This 1% concentration of pure Copper Peptides supports healthy skin functioning, including collagen synthesis, fibroblast production, and anti-inflammatory responses. These copper peptides give the serum a blue tint and also increase the price quite a bit.
The Ordinary Matrixyl 10% + HA
Matrixyl is a trademarked peptide formula from Sederma Inc. from France. The Ordinary Matrixyl 10% + HA contains two generations of Matrixyl, Matrixyl 3000 (palmitoyl tetrapeptide-7) and Matrixyl synthe’6 (palmitoyl tripeptide-38), at a combined concentration of 10% by weight. The peptides come in a specialized hyaluronic acid delivery system.
These peptides work to stimulate collagen production and smooth wrinkles and fine lines. This serum is similar to The Ordinary “Buffet” with its age-fighting peptides and hyaluronic acid for hydration.
Please see this post for my review of The Ordinary Matrixyl 10% + HA.
The Ordinary Argireline Solution 10%
ARGIRELINE is a trademarked solution of Acetyl Hexapeptide-8 from Lipotec S.A.U. based in Barcelona, Spain. The Ordinary Argireline Solution 10% contains 10% ARGIRELINE Peptide Complex.
The serum targets the skin on your face prone to developing dynamic folds, such as around the eyes and on the forehead area. The stand-out quality of this serum is its featherlight consistency. Its silky watery texture absorbs quickly and leaves no tackiness, making it the perfect product to layer with other serums. I like using it on the lines on my forehead.
The Ordinary Exfoliating Acids for Wrinkles and Mature Skin
Exfoliating facial acids sweep away dead skin cells to reveal a brighter, fresher complexion. Skin looks smoother, and wrinkles and fine lines are softened. They can also help to fade dark spots, hyperpigmentation, and uneven skin tone.
Exfoliating acid effectiveness varies by concentration and acid type. The Ordinary offers multiple exfoliating acid formulas for a variety of skin concerns and skin types. Please note that most of these acids should not be used on sensitive skin or those with peeling or compromised skin.
Please note that these exfoliating acids will make your skin more sensitive to the sun, so be sure to wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher while using these products and for a week after.
The Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution contains a 7% concentration of glycolic acid to improve skin radiance and clarity. Depending on the concentration and your skin type, glycolic acid may cause irritation.
This glycolic acid toner also contains a Tasmanian Pepperberry derivative to reduce the irritation associated with acid use.
The Ordinary Lactic Acid 10% + HA/The Ordinary Lactic Acid 5% + HA
Lactic acid, like glycolic acid, offers many anti-aging benefits but is less irritating than glycolic acid. Lactic acid also moisturizes the skin, making it ideal for those with dry skin.
For a gentler AHA serum, The Ordinary offers two lactic acid serum strengths. While not as strong as glycolic acid, The Ordinary Lactic Acid 10% + HA gently exfoliates to help increase cell turnover. It is enriched with hydrating hyaluronic acid and a Tasmanian Pepperberry derivative, which is an anti-inflammatory.
If the 10% concentration is too strong for your skin, The Ordinary Lactic Acid 5% + HA is very mild and may appeal to those who cannot tolerate stronger acids.
The Ordinary Mandelic Acid 10% + HA
If glycolic acid or lactic acid is too strong for your skin, consider mandelic acid. Mandelic acid has a larger molecule size than glycolic acid and lactic acid, which means it won’t reach as deep into the skin, creating a gentler exfoliation and less irritation. This makes it suitable for all skin types, including sensitive skin.
The Ordinary Mandelic Acid 10% + HA contains 10% mandelic acid plus hyaluronic acid to hydrate and plump the skin. For more on The Ordinary’s mandelic acid serum, check out my The Ordinary mandelic acid review.
The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution
The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution contains 30% alpha hydroxy acids (glycolic/lactic/tartaric/citric), 2% beta hydroxy acid (salicylic acid), hyaluronic acid crosspolymer, vitamin b5, black carrot, and Tasmanian pepperberry to help with irritation.
The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution should only be used by advanced users of acid exfoliation and if your skin is not sensitive.
This rinse-off peel is STRONG. AHAs work on the surface of the skin, and salicylic acid (BHA) travels into the pores for a deeper exfoliation while fighting blemishes and breakouts, and even acne scars, making it ideal for oily and acne-prone skin. The peel helps improve the appearance of skin texture and fine lines.
Please see The Ordinary website for complete instructions on how to use this skin care product. While The Ordinary notes that you can use it up to twice a week, once a week should work for most. For more details on how to use this product, please see this post on how to use The Ordinary peeling solution.
Related Post: What to Use After The Ordinary Peeling Solution
The Ordinary Retinol/Retinoids for Wrinkles and Mature Skin
Retinol. No anti-aging skincare routine would be complete without retinol/retinoids, the ultimate over-the-counter anti-agers. Retinol is a type of retinoid, which is a vitamin A derivative. The Ordinary offers both retinol and retinoids at multiple strengths.
The Ordinary retinol products come in 3 options. The Ordinary retinol products are very affordable, as they all are priced at under $7 each. They reduce the look of fine lines, photodamage, dullness, and general signs of aging:
The Ordinary retinoids come in the form of Granactive Retinoids. Granactive Retinoids use a complex of solubilized hydroxypinacolone retinoate (HPR), a non-prescription ester of all-trans direct retinoic acid, which is supposed to provide a better effect against the signs of aging than retinol and most other forms of non-prescription retinoids but without the irritation that comes along with other retinol/retinoids.
The Ordinary Granactive Retinoids come in a 2% or 5% lightweight squalane base or a 2% creamy hydrating
- Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion (see my review here)
- Granactive Retinoid 2% in Squalane
- Granactive Retinoid 5% in Squalane
For more on The Ordinary retinol and retinoids, check out this The Ordinary retinol guide which includes more details on each retinol/retinoid from The Ordinary.
Example The Ordinary Skincare Routines for Wrinkles and Mature Skin
The following example The Ordinary anti-aging skincare routines for mature and aging skin are provided for both morning and evening. Keep in mind that there are plenty of variations of these routines depending on your specific skin concerns.
The Ordinary has over 50 products. As you can see from this post, many of those products target the signs of aging, so there are many ways to combine The Ordinary products to create anti-aging routines for mature skin, and the following is just one example for morning and evening.
Hopefully, these examples will be a starting point for you to work with based on your skincare needs and skin type.
Example Morning The Ordinary Anti-Aging Routine for Mature Skin
- Squalane Cleanser
- Ascorbyl Glucoside Solution 12%
- Caffeine Solution 5% + EGCG (for eye contour pigmentation and puffiness)
- Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA
- Mineral UV Filters SPF 30 with Antioxidants
Example Evening The Ordinary Anti-Aging Routine for Mature Skin
- Squalane Cleanser
- Granactive Retinoid 5% in Squalane (may substitute with Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion or Granactive Retinoid 2% in Squalane)
- Alternate nights when not using retinoids: The Ordinary Lactic Acid 10% + HA or preferred acid
- Caffeine Solution 5% + EGCG (for eye contour pigmentation and puffiness)
- Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA or 100% Organic Cold Pressed Rose Hip Seed Oil
- Optional Weekly: The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution (If your skin can tolerate it, use it once a week in the evening after cleansing and follow with only Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 and Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA.
The Ordinary Anti-Aging Routine for Beginners
If you are just starting out with anti-aging skincare, or if these example routines contain too many products for you, but you just want to get started, consider The Ordinary The No-Brainer Set. It contains three core products, perfect to start an anti-aging skincare routine for under $30!!!
After cleansing, use “Buffet” and Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA in the morning and all three in the evening. It really is a no-brainer! The trio includes:
- Granactive Retinoid 2%
- Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA
Final Thoughts on Best The Ordinary Products for Wrinkles and Mature Skin
The best The Ordinary skincare products for wrinkles and mature skin are so affordable that you can combine products that work best for your skin type and skin concern to create a potent wrinkle-busting routine.
Your The Ordinary regimen for wrinkles and mature skin can include only a few products, or you can layer multiple serums (The Ordinary recommends no more than 3 in one routine) to get multiple actives working together. Just be sure they don’t conflict.
Please see my post, How To Layer The Ordinary Products, for more details on the order of product application.
With patience and consistency, you should start to see a softening of wrinkles and fine lines, brighter skin, and improved luminosity, which means a healthy and radiant complexion no matter your age.
If you are interested in more affordable anti-aging drugstore skincare products, be sure to check out my Revolution Skincare review.
Thanks for reading!